Lake Koman is an artificial reservoir created by the construction of the Koman Hydroelectric Power Station.
- Scenic Beauty: Lake Koman is set in a spectacular mountainous region and is renowned for its breathtaking scenery. The lake is flanked by steep, rugged cliffs and lush greenery, making it a popular destination for nature lovers and photographers.
- Ferry Ride: One of the most popular activities on Lake Koman is taking a ferry ride. The ferry journey is often described as one of the most scenic in the world, passing through dramatic landscapes that are sometimes compared to the fjords of Norway.
- Access and Transportation: The lake is accessible from the road to Vau i Dejes, which can be reached by road from Shkodër, one of the major cities in northern Albania. The ferry connects Koman with Fierzë, and from there, travelers can continue to other destinations in Albania.
- Hiking and Outdoor Activities: The area around Lake Koman offers excellent opportunities for hiking and exploring the Albanian Alps. It’s a gateway to the Valbona Valley, another stunning region in northern Albania.
- Cultural Experience: Visiting Lake Koman also provides an opportunity to experience the culture and hospitality of northern Albania. The region is known for its unique traditions, cuisine, and history.
- Tourism Infrastructure: While the area is becoming more popular with tourists, it’s still relatively unspoiled compared to more mainstream European destinations. Accommodations range from guesthouses to small hotels, offering a more authentic and intimate experience.
- Conservation and Development: As with many natural areas, there are ongoing discussions and efforts regarding the conservation of the natural environment around Lake Koman and the development of sustainable tourism.
Lake Koman and the surrounding regions in northern Albania offer a mix of natural beauty, adventure, and cultural richness, making it a unique destination for travelers seeking off-the-beaten-path experiences.